Q. What are the conditions for a foreign national to be a care worker in Japan?

In order to obtain the "Nursing" residence status in Japan, applicants are required to pass the national board examination. There are two ways to meet the eligibility for the admission to the examination. One of them is certain period of work experience at nursing facilities and another one is completion of specialized curriculum at training institutions such as Asahikawa Welfare Professional Training School. The national board examination is conducted in Japanese language and the criteria for passing the exam is the Japanese language competent level of JLPT N2. The pass rate of foreign applicants is about 40 percent.

Special system for international students who study nursing care in Japan is being implemented currently. Even if the students are not able to pass the national board examination, they obtain the "Kaigo" resident status by working at nursing facilities for 5 years after graduation.

Q. How can I get the scholarship from the International Caregivers Promotion Association?

The eligibility requirements for this scholarship program are written below:

1. the person who has Japanese language ability at JLPT N2 level or higher, or equivalent to JLPT N2 level after completing Japanese language course in Japan for more than one year.
2. the person who can work for the designated nursing facility for 5 years at least after graduating the educational institution.
3. the person who is willing to become a caregiver and fulfill the duty written in (2).

Q. I passed N3 level of JLPT. Is it too hard to study nursing care in Japanese with my Japanese level?

On the premise that scholarship student becomes a caregiver, the students who have not passed JLPT N2 are allowed to enter Higashikawa Japanese Language School for one year as scholarship students of Higashikawa Town. In this case, the scholarship students are exempted from the tuition and dormitory fee but living expenses. After graduating the language school with JLPT N2 certification, the students proceed to study nursing care for 2 years without paying its tuition and dormitory fee.

Q. Which expenses are exempted?

The scholarship students for caregiver program are exempted from the tuition and dormitory fee with breakfast and dinner everyday except Sundays and national holidays. In addition, living expenses of 38,000yen is provided by cash and HUC points every month for 2 years. This is considered to be enough for the students' school life.

Q. I am an international student of a Japanese language school in Japan. Can I apply to the school and scholarship after graduation even if I currently live in Japan?

International students who study Japanese language currently in Japan can apply as long as they meet the eligibility requirement. We welcome your contact by yourself or through your school. Interviews are required for assessment for entering school.

Q. Where can I make contact from my country?

There are our partner companies in China, Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand, and Vietnam which offer information and guidance. Our office is available for inquiries only in Japanese.






NameHigashikawa Thai Office

South Korea

NameEJC Foreign Language School


Q. Is there other ways I don't have to work at the same facility for 5 years after graduation?

The member municipalities pay the expenses for the scholarship expecting future workforce in return. It is obligatory for the scholarship students to work for the same nursing facility for 5 years after graduation. Agreement of this condition is essential for this scholarship program.

If you are considering to combine other scholarship program, please contact Asahikawa Welfare Professional Training School directly.

Q. Where is Asahikawa Welfare Professional Training School?

Higashikawa Town is located in the center of Hokkaido. The town with over 8,000 of population is 15 kilometers away from the second biggest city of Hokkaido, Asahikawa. It has four seasons clearly with mild weather through a year. It is hot in summer and snow covers ground completely in winter. Main industry is agriculture and it is famous for growing rice with rich nature. More than 300 international students live in the town and go to the Higashikawa Japanese Language School and Asahikawa Welfare Professional Training School.

Q. Where are the designated facilities where I work after graduation?

All students visit all designated nursing facilities by the end of first May after entering school.

Students make a request for the facility and apply for the job if the both requests are matched after 3 series of intern programs.

Working in Hokkaido is known that people can spend time working in relaxed atmosphere and connect to local people closely compared with living in a big city.

Q. How much can I get paid and allowances?

It depends on the facility you work and its working conditions. Generally, if the monthly salary including basic salary, night shift and other allowances is about 220,000 yen, hypothetically, about 40,000 yen will be deducted for taxes and health insurance. Monthly take-home pay would be about 18,000 yen. Seasonal allowances and bonus could be expected and that makes about 3.3 million yen as annual salary. Still calculating deducted taxes, the annual income is about 2.7 million yen. This is just an example and we would not guarantee the amount.

Q. How long can I work in Japan as a caregiver?

Certified caregivers can apply for working visa under the "Kaigo" residence status and extend every 5 years unless there is a special reason. The qualification obtained once is valid for a lifetime when license holders wish to work as a caregiver in Japan.

Q. I'm worried whether I am good enough to complete the curriculum in Japanese.

Asahikawa Welfare Professional Training School is an accredited educational institution which provides the caregiver program for international students since April, 2019. The school has already educated 23 international students who were from the countries under the Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) program. There are also Japanese language course and the school is ready to support international students linguistically.

Q. How far is the dormitory from the school?

Dormitories are located in the center of Higashikawa Town and the school is 4 kilometers away. The school offers free transportation service to school. Breakfast and dinners are served at the dormitories and rooms are fully equipped. There is no necessary to bring or buy your furniture and kitchen tools. There are bicycles for rent from spring to autumn. Lunch and all meals on Sundays and national holidays are not served. It is possible to purchase food in town or cook your meals at kitchen in the dormitory. Living expense of 38,000yen is provided by cash and HUC points every month. This is considered to be enough for the students' school life.